An emotional journey is a visualization that maps and illustrates a user’s emotional experience through the experience of interacting with an organization, product or brand.
Organize a space, materials and participants for the session.
2. Define the activity for which you want to map out the emotional journey. For example, it could be a person’s ride on the subway while heading home.
3. Collect the internal insights of the team, based on previous research and experiences.
4. Map out the journey and mark the different touch points where the user comes in contact with the product/service/brand/organization.
5. If you have developed various personas, make sure that you develop a journey for each of them. Each experience will be different.
6. Use a line graph to mark underneath the journey to mark the moments users feel excited and moments where they feel frustrated.
7. Analyze the results of mapping the journey.
When you need to identify how people feel during the experience of using your services.
Allows the design team to understand where to improve the experience.
Emotional journeys depend on good research.
A mapped out overview of how someone feels while doing something. A look inside the ‘emotional rollercoaster’.
Analyse the peaks and lows, improve where needed.
BROWN, Tim. Change by design. 2009.